Thursday 30 June 2011

Miniature Museum: The Library


The 1:12 scale library 
This is the kind of room I'd like to have in my real-size house!
   In this room, I was determined to have all real books that can be read, no fake mock-ups or blank pages in here! I have gradually added to the collection over time. My latest acquisition is a book in French of Napoleon's love letters to Josephine that I got in Akaroa this year. On the table is a book of Vermeer's (my favourite artist) paintings. Other books include 'A History of New Zealand' and 'The Baby's Bouquet' by Walter Crane.
   Each time I go to a NZAME Convention, I buy a miniature journal, bound in leather and stamped in gold with the convention name and date. In it I write (in teeny, tiny letters) my experiences of the weekend's events.
   Barbara Brear is a South African bookbinder who makes beautiful 'open' miniature books in 1:12 scale. The covers are of the finest leather and the endpapers are marbled. Barbara makes them as real books with turning pages, then glues them so they stay open. The ones on the table are an illuminated medieval nativity and a Victorian botanical with drawings lilies and orchids. They are little works of art!

No comments:

Post a Comment