Tuesday 2 August 2011

Miniature Museum: The Edwardian & Art Deco Room

Edwardian and Art Deco miniatures
This costume and furniture gallery is the last room in my miniature museum. It features the Edwardian and Art Deco periods with items and clothes that were in fashion during those years from the 1900s to the 1930s.
   Now my sewing expertise runs to embroidering but not dressmaking, so these dresses are all glued, not stitched. The cream Edwardian outfit I copied from a photograph of a real model. I got a resin doll and glued the fabric and lace to her, made the tiny ribbon roses, then chopped off her head!
   The Tiffany lamp, handpainted fan and biscuit tin on the table are all Art Nouveau, as are the two posters by Mucha of elegant, semi-clad women with swirling locks of long hair, his trademark motif.
   During the Art Deco period dresses were shorter. I took another headless doll (can you tell that I don't like dolls?!) and glued a piece of material round her and draped a stole over her shoulders.
   The round table and chair are Bespaq pieces I spraypainted gloss black then stuck on silver peelies as trim. The china is miniature replica pieces of Clarice Cliff ware which was very popular at the time. On the chair is a little flapper's hat I made. With its rosette and jaunty feather it's just the thing to wear when dancing the Charleston!

No comments:

Post a Comment