Wednesday 18 September 2013

Kit Sets or Build from Scratch?


A house built from a kit set
Here's a question for you. Do you like to make kit set dolls houses and furniture or do you build from scratch?
  People at our miniatures club were divided fairly evenly on this issue. Some who are proficient in the use of power tools, bandsaws etc like to build from scratch, using patterns they've found in magazines or books, or even designing their own. Some of our members create kit sets for mini furniture for us to make at club day workshops..
  Others, and I'm firmly in this group, would rather buy kit set houses or furniture and make them up. Although we may 'kit bash' them to put our own particular stamp on the project.
  For me, if I can't make an item with a craft knife out of matboard or foamcore, I'm prepared to buy a kit. I value my fingers too much to use saws and sanders!
  So, what do you do?

6 comments:

  1. I like building from scratch, everything from the house to the furniture. I am afraid of power tools, so I build my dollhouses out of cardboard and paper mache...including the furniture, plus I also use popsicle sticks and anything I find at thrift stores, garage sales etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I like searching for things at second hand stores & garage sales too. It's amazing what you can find, isn't it?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I've been constructing a model for just over 2 years but am really just starting out and have often wondered if I should have bought a house kit and blow the outlay. I do find kit furniture very difficult - I've probably not got enough patience so it’s probably as well that I didn’t ;) I use whatever materials bring something to mind and then try to work it in to the rough design of my somewhat organic construction. I've found kebab sticks are great for various things as well as lolly sticks and tend to wilfully misuse some items. At the mo I'm having great fun with banister rail moulding - it has so many different faces for use. Mostly using craft knives and mini saws, tho I'm just beginning to try some shaping with a cheap electric modelling drill - somehow don't think it's going to be ‘me’ ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound very creative! I had to learn patience when making minis, especially when waiting for glue to dry.

      Delete