Tuesday 4 March 2014

How to Plaster Walls in 1:12 Scale

An easy way of plastering in 1:12 scale
Keeping to my Greek theme for the mini shadow box, I decided rather than wallpapering the walls, I'd plaster them. 
  When I plastered the Tudor house (see under 'Tudor House' in the blog labels list) I used a mixture of white paint, PVA glue and talcum powder and applied it quite thickly to the walls.
  This time, because the shadow box is small, I imagined a finer 'plaster' would be better.
  In one of those serendipitous 'aha!' moments, I thought of using gesso. This is a primer used by artists to prepare surfaces such as canvas, wood and paper to provide a flexible, non-cracking surface to paint on. 
  So I squirted some gesso onto the already undercoated box walls and scraped it around with the edge of an old credit card so the walls looked as if they were whitewashed and slightly textured.
  It's an easy way of plastering and the effect was just as I'd hoped for. And because the gesso is white, I didn't have to paint again.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip, Wendy! I've been thinking of painting all my rooms instead of wallpapering. Do you think that if I coloured the Gesso, it would be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucille, the gesso I used is acrylic so I think you could add a little acrylic coloured paint to it and mix it well. I think I'd have a few practice sessions on scrap wood first, just to make sure you'd get the effect you want. Let us know how you get on.

      Delete